At Tameside, Oldham and Glossop Mind we offer counselling to all residents of Tameside and Glossop aged 16 or over. The sessions are taking place in the welcoming and safe environment of our Wellbeing centre in Ashton in designated therapeutic rooms. Follow this link if you would like to find out more about counselling.

What is Counselling?

Free counselling service

The free counselling service is available to all residents of Tameside and Glossop aged 16 and over. It is very easy to access, Check if our free counselling is right for you here. If you are not eligible for our free counselling we have affordable alternatives below.

We provide counselling in both of the following locations;


The Old Co-op Building, 11 Railway Street

Glossop, Derbyshire, SK13 7AG


116-118 Katherine Street, Ashton-Under-Lyne, OL67AS

If you would like to refer yourself onto this you can click the link below, or contact the office on 0161 330 9223.


Oldham Residents

For our Oldham residents we have a different pathway to access our services, this is run in partnership with Healthy Minds. For more details of this service then follow the link below:

Active Monitoring Oldham

Logo banner

Insight Services

TOG Mind provide quality, counselling, supervision and solution focused coaching also known as our Insight services. We are a non-profit organisation so all of our profits go back into providing services to the local community. If you would like more information on our Insight provision then click here or call the centre on 0161 330 9223.

bottom banner

If you are not eligible for our free counselling and our insight services are not for you, you can find other counsellors at For advice on choosing an appropriate counsellor you can always email

What should I do if I am having a crisis or am feeling unwell?

Like most organisations, we do have a waiting list and with this in mind if you are having suicidal feelings or feel you are struggling to cope, you should contact your GP and he or she will advise you on the best course of action. Alternatively go to your local hospital’s Accident and Emergency department. More details can be found in the Get Help section under In-Crisis.

You may choose to call a phone line – this will give you chance to speak to someone immediately. Some operate 24 hours a day such as:

Tel: 116 123

Tel: 0845 767 8000

The sooner you get in touch and let someone know how you are feeling, the better.